Parliament Committed to Support Implementation of Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals
Albanian Daily News
Published December 5, 2017
The Albanian Parliament unanimously approved on Monday a resolution on commitment to Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals.
By endorsing this Resolution, the Parliament of Albania collectively embraces the Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals and commits to its promotion, implementation and monitoring, through inclusive and broad-based development processes, in line with Albanias development priorities and EU integration. This resolution is a pledge and a call for all legislators to join forces with government, civil society, academia, private sector, and development partners for addressing comprehensively the three dimensions of sustainable development: economic, social and environmental.
We, the members of Parliament of Albania COMMIT to partnering closely with government bodies, independent authorities and civil society to support inclusive, transparent and accountable implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs and fulfill the promise of the 2030 Agenda to leave no one behind particularly with regard to vulnerable groups, says the text of the resolution.
The UN Resident Coordinator in Albania says: We are very pleased to see all Albanian Members of Parliament commit to support SDG achievements in Albania. These development goals reflect the shared desire of people throughout the world to have a better life and improve the societies they live in. Many voices from Albania and across the world, including those of Parliamentarians have helped shape the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Country ownership, government accountability and policy framework, are vital role in ensuring that the new set of goals are achieved. Parliaments are at the forefront of these imperatives, given their critical role in meeting those requirements through their lawmaking, budgeting, and oversight functions.
In September 2015, world leaders approved an ambitious new sustainable development agenda. It builds on progress made since the Millennium Declaration, and seeks to reduce poverty and inequality, improve peoples lives, and promote peace, security, good governance, and the rule of law.
The Agenda 2030 Declaration acknowledges the essential role of national parliaments through their enactment of legislation and adoption of budgets, and their role in ensuring accountability for the effective implementation of our commitments.
The Resolution can be found below:
PARLIAMENT OF ALBANIA
RESOLUTION ON THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
In September 2015, the UN General Assembly adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This historic agreement built on the successes of the Millennium Development Goals established for the first time a universal action framework to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality by promoting inclusive, sustainable development, grounded in respect for human rights.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals laid out in the Agenda describe in detail the collective ambition of 193 Member States of the United Nations to "free the human race from the tyranny of poverty and heal and secure our planet". All countries and stakeholders have pledged in the Agenda that no one will be left behind.
We, the members of Parliament of Albania, gathered together in this plenary session:
EMBRACE the 2030 Agenda and SDGs adopted by the member states of the United Nations on 25 September 2015, in particular Goal 16 which commits member states to promoting inclusive and peaceful governance including through ensuring that parliaments are representative, participatory, inclusive and accountable institutions.
RECOGNISE that parliamentarians have a critical role to play in promoting, implementing and monitoring the 2030 Agenda and SDGs through our law-making, budget, oversight and representative functions.
ENDORSE the importance of the three dimensions of sustainable development economic, social and environmental - and the need to address them comprehensively, in close connection with measures to improve the institutional fabric and capacities at both national and international levels.
UNDERSCORE that peace and security, democracy and the rule of law, the elimination of all forms of discrimination, the empowerment of women, the engagement of young generations and, last but not least, good governance are essential requirements for an irreversible evolution towards sustainable development.
COMMIT to partnering closely with government bodies, independent authorities and civil society to support inclusive, transparent and accountable implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs.
COMMIT to fulfill the promise of the 2030 Agenda to leave no one behind particularly with regards to vulnerable groups.
ACKNOWLEDGE the potential for our development partners to work with parliamentarians and other national stakeholders to achieve the 2030 Agenda and SDGs; and,
HIGHLIGHT the synergies and mutual reinforcement between the pursuit of Agenda2030 in Albania and the achievement of full integration into the European Union.
DO HEREBY RESOLVE THAT WE SHALL:
1. Reflect upon existing parliamentary oversight mechanisms to ensure that parliamentarians have the tools to guide and monitor the achievement of SDGs, including:
(i) Review existing regulation to ensure that parliamentary commissions include SDGs in their working agenda;
(ii) Provide guidance to the Government (Inter-Ministerial Committee) on SDGs to advance the SDG agenda both at national and local level, including through organization of hearings with Parliamentary Commissions;
(iii) Strengthening the capacities for commissions to undertake effective SDGs oversight,
including by ensuring that committee members have sufficient qualified staff and resources to undertake and implement participatory and transparent committee oversight processes;
(iv) Supporting the development and utilization of tools to enable parliamentarians to
undertake more effective oversight of proposed laws, budgets, programmes and policies to assess their contribution to SDGs implementation.
2. Work jointly with the Government and partners to review the existing legislative framework to identify opportunities to advance implementation of the SDGs, especially by
enacting or amending laws to promote gender equality, social inclusion and protect environment;
3. Review existing parliamentary budget mechanisms in order to ensure that:
(i) Budget appropriations and expenditures are analyzed to ensure an effective
contribution to SDG implementation;
(ii) Budget analysis includes both domestic and external resources enabling parliamentarians to promote development effectiveness and efficiency;
4. Provide support to sub-national governing bodies to implement and monitor the SDGs recognizing that they are most closely positioned to the populace and often have responsibility for critical SDGs-related issues;
5. Collaborate closely with the National Statistics Office (INSTAT) to encourage the production of disaggregated data and enable parliamentarians to better access and understand data related to SDG implementation and monitoring, including in order to better assess the geographic and demographic impact of SDGs activities;
6. Foster cooperation with independent accountability institutions (such as National Human Rights Institutions- Peoples Advocate, Commissioner on Anti-Discrimination, anti-corruption bodies and Supreme Audit Institutions), as well as with the media, development partners and civil society organizations (CSOs) in order to enable parliamentarians to develop partnerships that will further their efforts to promote, implement and monitor SDGs implementation;
7. Support the development of processes and tools to strengthen parliamentary inclusiveness, access to information, accountability and transparency to encourage increased civil society and public engagement, particularly by vulnerable and marginalized groups, in the development of legislation and oversight of national policies on SDGs;
8. Support ongoing awareness-raising activities on the 2030Agenda for parliamentarians and parliamentary staff in order to ensure they are kept updated on regional and international as well as domestic activities and processes related to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.