Parsons Green: Man Arrested over Tube Bombing
Albanian Daily News
Published September 16, 2017
Police have spoken to 45 witnesses so far and received 77 images and videos from the public
An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a terror offence in connection with Friday's attack on a London Tube train.
The man was held in Dover on Saturday and taken to a Kent police station - he will be moved to south London later.
The arrest is "significant" but the terror threat level remains at "critical", Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said.
Thirty people were injured after the explosion on a train at Parsons Green.
Most people were treated for minor injuries and have been released, NHS England said, but three people remain in Chelsea and Westminster hospital in central London.
A further meeting of the government's Cobra emergency committee, chaired by Home Secretary Amber Rudd, ended with the recommendation that the UK terrorist threat level remains at "critical".
On Friday evening the UK terror threat was raised to critical - the highest level - meaning an attack may be imminent.
Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said: "London has not stopped after other terrible attacks and it will not stop after this one."
The public should remain vigilant, Mr Basu said, as the force was not changing its "protective security measures" and extra armed officers were still being deployed.
Operation Temperer, which involves the use of the military and was put in place after the threat level was raised, is being stepped up gradually.
Home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said it is focused on London and the south-east of England and is being described as "light-touch", and not on the same scale as what was seen after the Manchester Arena attack.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said "significant" police activity would continue over the weekend and thanked police, adding: "They are there to keep us safe".
More armed police officers will be present at London Underground stations, as well as at stations across England, Scotland and Wales, British Transport Police Assistant Chief Constable Robin Smith told the BBC.

(Source: BBC)

Current Events
World News